Sunday, February 5, 2012

A Sister's Perspective

This blog post was written by Kennedy's big sister, Katie. When it comes to sisters, I think Kennedy really lucked out...

When I was eight years old, my little sister, Kennedy, was born. My family was all so overjoyed that we hardly noticed that her appearance wasn’t completely normal. Kennedy was born without her right ear due to Goldenhar Syndrome, a congenital craniofacial disorder. Little did we know that it wouldn’t be an easy fix, and that there were going to be many other medical issues that went along with it. 

Adjusting to life with a sibling with medical problems was a challenge, and it still is. However, it has taught me that others come first and to not take any day or any thing for granted. Sure, we fight, we argue, we annoy each other; we’re normal sisters. But what makes us different is that we’ve both gone through the hard times. 

The hardest for me was the first ear surgery in October 2010. Having to leave the hospital before the surgery was done to go be in my school’s parade as well as not having my mom be there to see me on Homecoming court was really tough. But I think of my end of it and I realize that I don’t have anything to complain about.

I would do anything for Kennedy; she is an amazing little kid. Having seen firsthand her struggles over the years, I know it’s not something I could go through. For that she is a hero-my hero. I am so grateful to have her as my sister. She has taught me a lot of life lessons that I’ll never forget. I love her and I cannot wait to see what the future has in store for our relationship. 

(NEXT BLOG: Coping: It's Just Something Ya Gotta Do)

1 comment:

  1. Kennedy is blessed to have such a blessing as a sister!

    ReplyDelete